COVID-19 update: To minimize service impacts and ensure the safety of our staff, we’re not accepting paper documents. Please send your personal forms and paperwork through My Account Message Centre. If you cannot access My Account, aren’t a pension plan member or are submitting on behalf of someone else, please contact us.

Submit a package to apply for your pension

To apply for your pension, send us a paper application 90 days before your pension effective date.

To apply for your pension

  1. Request a retirement application package and pension estimate from BC's Teachers' Pension Plan
  2. Inform your employer that you are applying for your pension


How to fill out the retirement application package

Take time to read through the package when you receive it. The forms have detailed instructions and additional information to help you through the application process.

Note: incomplete forms may delay your first pension payment

Required forms:

  • Pension application form
  • Pension option selection form
    • At the end of your Pension estimate, choose your pension option
  • Application for extended health care and voluntary dental benefits (Green Shield Canada)
    • Complete this form to apply for or waive retired member health and dental care coverage for you and any dependants
    • If you are choosing to waive your retired member health and/or dental care coverage please mark this at the top of the form
    • Remember to clarify with your employer when your extended health care and dental coverage ends
  • Spousal declaration form
    • You must fill out all of the sections, whether you are single, common-law or married


If applicable, you must also submit these forms:

  • Nomination of beneficiary (at retirement) form
    • This form is only necessary if one of the following applies:
      • you have a spouse and have chosen a joint life pension that is not 100% guaranteed (your spouse is automatically your primary beneficiary)
      • you have a spouse who has waived their right to your pension and you have chosen a single life pension with a guarantee
      • you do not have a spouse, but have chosen a single life pension with a guarantee
    •  You must fill out sections A and B
    • Section C is optional; please read the Beneficiaries and your pension guide to understand whether you need to complete this section
  • Form 2 Spouse’s waiver of 60% lifetime survivor’s benefit and/or beneficiary rights from a pension plan or annuity after payments start
    • This form is only necessary if you have a spouse and are choosing a single life pension option or a joint life pension option less than 60 per cent; your spouse must complete it
  • Pre-Authorized Debit Application
    • Only complete this form if you are opting into retirement health coverage but your pension is too small to cover the premiums


Next steps

Fill out all of the required forms, and any of the additional forms as needed. Add the forms to the envelope with the supporting documents listed below, and mail the package back to the pension plan at least one month before your pension effective date. We’ll contact you if we have any questions or need more information.

You’ll receive your first pension payment at the end of the month your pension is effective.

Another way to apply for your pension

If you are an active or inactive member, you can apply for your pension online by signing in to My Account.


You can submit a paper application if you are an active, inactive or limited member.

  • If you are an active or inactive member, you are also eligible to apply for your pension online through My Account
  • If you are a limited member, you must use a paper application
Required information
  • A copy of government-issued identification to confirm your age and identity
    • if the valid forms of identification are not available, contact us for acceptable alternatives
    • if you’ve changed your name and it’s not reflected in these documents, include a legal change-of-name document or marriage certificate for each name change
  • A copy of government-issued identification to confirm your spouse's age and identity, if you are applying for a joint life pension
  • Your bank account information


Examples of acceptable forms of government-issued identification include:

  • Valid photo BC Services Card
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • Canadian marriage certificate (with date of birth)
  • Valid Canadian passport (photo page)
  • Valid Canadian provincial or territorial driver's licence

Contact the plan to request a retirement application package