Life changes

Women smiling with paint roller

Changes in your family

Making changes to your beneficiaries

Your eligibility to change your beneficiary depends on the option you chose at retirement.

Adding new family members to your health coverage

You may be able to add your spouse or eligible dependant to your extended health and dental care.

Separation or divorce

If you separate or divorce after you start receiving your pension, you can’t change your pension option. In some cases, this may mean that your former spouse continues as your beneficiary. Talk to a lawyer for help understanding your situation.

Managing the death of a beneficiary or spouse

Contact us if your spouse passes away and we’ll walk you through the next steps. If another beneficiary passes away, please update your beneficiary information in My Account.


Update your address in My Account

If you’re moving within your current province or country, you can update your address using My Account. If you are moving to another province or country, please contact us through the Message Centre in My Account.

Change your direct deposit to an international account

If you’re moving outside Canada, you can update your direct deposit to go to your U.S. or international bank account.

How moving affects your income taxes

Each province and country has its own tax rate. Keep your address up to date with the plan to ensure you’re paying the right amount of tax for your situation.

How moving outside Canada affects your extended health and dental coverage

The extended health care and dental plans don’t offer out-of-country coverage. If you are moving outside Canada, contact us to cancel your coverage.

Returning to work

If your new employer is part of the plan, let them know you are a retired member. You will continue receiving your pension and will not make new contributions.

If your new employer is part of a different pension plan, you may be eligible to enrol in that plan.

Planning for your final years

You can authorize someone to manage your pension on your behalf should you no longer be able to. You can do this using documents like a power of attorney. Contact the plan for more information.

Providing for your loved ones

Learn how your pension may provide a source of income for your beneficiaries and what your loved ones need to do after your death.

Death and death benefits