Buying non-contributory service

Learn about buying service for a period when your employer participated in the pension plan but you weren’t enrolled.

Process for non-contributory service

You will need to complete a form and submit it to your employer. Your employer will then complete its portion and submit the form to BC’s Teachers’ Pension Plan.

Here are the steps:

  1. Open and save the Purchase of Service Application form.
  2. Complete Part A.
  3. If you were working for a different employer (not your current employer) when the non-contributory service happened, submit the completed form and documents to your former employer. They will complete Part C and return the form and documents to you.
  4. Send the completed form to your current employer.
  5. Your employer may request additional documents to complete your application (e.g., pay stubs or a letter of hire). They will complete Part B and send the form to the plan.

Once we receive the completed application, we will send you a statement showing:

  • Total cost
  • Payment options and due date