How to name (or change) a beneficiary before retirement

Learn how to name your beneficiary while you are an active member of the plan.

You can name or change a beneficiary or beneficiaries by:

  • Signing in to My Account
  • Submitting the Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form to BC's Teachers' Pension Plan

If you have a spouse, they are automatically your sole beneficiary unless they waive their right to receive your pension if you die.

To give up their beneficiary rights, your spouse must submit Form 4 Spouse’s waiver of beneficiary right to benefits in a pension plan, locked-in retirement account, life income fund or annuity before pension or annuity payments start to the plan. Once we have this form on file, you can sign in to My Account to name a beneficiary or beneficiaries other than your spouse.

Alternatively, you can send in the waiver along with a Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form.

Naming a beneficiary online through My Account or submitting the Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form allows you to:

  • Name an alternate beneficiary or beneficiaries should your spouse die before you
  • Name beneficiaries (and alternates) if you do not have a spouse or your spouse has waived their right to a death benefit

The Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form only provides space to name up to two beneficiaries. If you wish to name more than two beneficiaries or alternates, include this information on a separate sheet and attach it to the form, or complete your nomination online through My Account.

Follow the same steps to change your beneficiary(ies).

Naming a beneficiary online or submitting the Nomination of beneficiary (pre-retirement) form will replace and revoke any beneficiary(ies) you have named previously.

If you are divorced or separated, all beneficiary nominations must comply with any separation agreements or court orders.

If you are a member of more than one pension plan administered by BC Pension Corporation (BC’s College, Municipal, Public Service and WorkSafeBC pension plans), you must submit a separate nomination form for each plan.