How to address a concern or appeal a decision

Find out the steps you can take if you have a concern about how the plan rules were applied.

Appealing to a third-party arbitrator

If you wish to continue your appeal after receiving the board's decision letter, you can appeal to a third-party arbitrator. Send a Notice of appeal—step 3 form (included with the board’s decision letter) and a letter to the appeals registrar.

The board will choose an arbitrator from a list of arbitrators agreed to by the BC Teachers’ Federation and the provincial government. You and the board will share the costs of the arbitrator equally.

Both you and the arbitrator will be given copies of all relevant material. The arbitrator will rule on whether the pension plan rules were applied correctly, and provide this ruling in writing.

You will receive a copy of the arbitrator’s report, and the arbitrator’s decision will be final and binding on both the board and you.

Related content for appealing a decision

Plan rules

External links for appealing a decision

Green Shield Canada