Pensions and marital breakdowns: information for lawyers

Lawyers are often asked to advise clients about dividing a pension benefit between a plan member and a former spouse. Learn more about the information and documents we need to administer a pension following a relationship breakdown.

Submit authorization to release information

We require authorization to release information about a plan member's pension to a third party. This authorization can be provided in the following ways:

  • A former spouse of a plan member can submit a Form P1 Claim and request for information and notice to BC's Teachers' Pension Plan
  • The plan member can submit a Release of information authorization form to the plan
  • The plan member can submit their authorization in a written letter to the plan
  • As legal counsel for the plan member or their former spouse, you can also submit a written authorization from your client